Sunday, May 05, 2013

Morning Worship at Whiteparish; Greyhounds at Poole

The morning started rather cloudy and overcast upon waking this morning.  Sara and I drove Dean Hill to Whiteparish to take the Morning Worship service at All Saints Parish Church.  A good crows this morning - 32, with a choir.  I had some banns of marriage to read out and then on with the service.  Great hymns - especially the final hymn "Oh for a Thousand Tongues to Sing" that great Wesleyian hymn which was sung with gusto.  My sermon was preached from the pulpit and the congregation seemed quite attentive. I really enjoyed taking the service and there was plenty of joy and feeling of a spirit-filled church this morning.  I enjoyed chatting to some really lovely people over coffee and felt that they had got something out of the service.  Back in Winterslow, Sara took delivery of groceries from Tesco and I went over the road to meet briefly with a fellow-elected new parish councillor.  We talked about where we saw our respective positions on the Council and issues that are likely to come up.  I have no hidden or personal agenda, I told him, simply wanting to see the best for the local community whether that is popular or not with some elements of the village.  Some development is likely to be essential if the village is to maintain its diversity and services.  We don't want the village to become "dry bones" as in my sermon!  This afternoon I mowed the bank again - such hard work when we get sunshine and rain - and I managed to completely fill the garden waste bin with the clippings from this one lawn!  This evening, I took Mary down to Poole to enjoy some greyhound racing and true to form she had a winner in the first race - a small win (£3.05 for a 50 p stake) - but a win all the same.  I had nothing.  It was nice to spend an evening out with my daughter. I spent quite a lot of time with Thom at sporting events but not much with Mary.  She gave me a big hug at the end of the night.  That's really all a dad could ask for!

No comments:

Post a Comment