Monday, May 13, 2013

"Minister of Transport (Bus Shelters)"

A day in the village today.  It was hard to get up this morning – too many late nights I think.  My new resolution is to go to bed earlier and get up earlier.  Reading my tweets, it’s amazing how many more people are up before me.  Must get into a better habit!   I have almost forgotten how I used to get up so early and then over to Dorking several days a week.   After my devotions and a shower I spent the morning on paperwork – particularly reading the papers and preparing a file for tonight’s Parish Council meeting.  Sara had a dentist’s appointment in Salisbury and then spent the morning visiting the high street banks looking for the best deal for bank accounts for the children where they can use debit cards.  Currently I have all their money in one of my accounts with the Halifax following Sara having closed their own Halifax Saver Accounts.  Having completed my paperwork, I had intended to mow the rear lawn but it started to rain just before I was going to start – so that was the end of that good intention.  Tonight I attended the Annual Parish Council meeting and the Council meeting that followed that.  Somehow I managed to get myself elected as Vice Chairman of the Council – amazing – the first time I’ve ever been appointed to public office without an election (councillor) and the first time I’ve actually been in “government” – I spent  11 years in opposition on Brighton Borough Council although was Vice-Chairman of the Airport Authority and Raceground. A very interesting meeting.  My portfolio is transport – so I have a responsibility for bus shelters and bus services in the village!  Interesting times ahead.  I am looking forward to it.  It is an interesting fact that my political career started with a bus shelter.  Is this how it will end?

No comments:

Post a Comment