Saturday, May 04, 2013

Hull Promoted; Saints in Trouble

Up very early again this morning.  Thom was on his paper round and I drove into Salisbury parking my car at around 7.20 a.m. and walked to the Guildhall.  As I left Winterslow the weather had been quite bright but I noticed a few drops of rain as I drove through Firsdown and by the time I arrived in Salisbury it was raining quite heavily.  Fortunately I had my hat and pac-a-mac with me and so was prepared for the weather - English summer at it best of course!  It was raining quite heavily as the various items for sale were pulled out of the car and arranged, under plastic sheeting, in an attempt to keep things dry - although many - including books, did end up soggy around the edges.  I was amazed at how many ordinary folk had gathered around the stall in the hope of getting a bargain early and even more amazed at what items seem to sell well - many of which I would have discarded at the Council tip!  The rain did stop before I left and the selling was in full flow.  I reserved a crab on the fishmonger's stall and went off for a coffee and a bacon sandwich at Carwardine's the coffee shop by St. Thomas's Church.  I picked up some salad, fruit and cheese at extremely good prices and returned to the car laden with plastic bags.  Sara and Mary went off to the Cuckoo Fair at Downton this afternoon where the Streetz Cheerleaders were performing.  I had planned to visit the Fair myself but spent the afternoon writing my sermon for tomorrow.  After I had completed the first draft, I watched the Sports News with Thom and we followed the fortunes of the teams as the promotion and relegation places were finalise din the Championship.  Hull City were narrowly promoted to the Premier League while Wigan beat West Brom and Southampton lost to Tottenham Hotspur which puts Southampton very much back in the danger zone for relegation.  Tonight Sara and I went to the Lion's Head for an hour and Sara kindly proof read my sermon.  The pub was deserted with only about four people in it.  Saturday night is clearly no longer a good night to go out for a drink - people tend now to stay in on Saturdays and watch TV.

No comments:

Post a Comment