Sunday, May 12, 2013

Pub Quiz - Pipped at the last minute!

I attended All Saints Church this morning – twice in one week – which becoming unusual as my role as a trainee LLM takes me across the other parishes of the team and seldom in my home village church.  I acted as sidesperson and read the second reading this morning – from Acts where Paul and Silas are thrown into prison and them subsequently released through an earthquake.  We had a baptism this morning and so had a larger congregation than usual – 52 of which about 20 formed the baptism party.   Not very high numbers then for the ordinary congregation.  This afternoon I did some gardening at the front of the house and was going to mow the rear lawn when the rain started – on specks at first but then coming down in heavy torrents.  Thom and I watched the sports channel this afternoon and Southampton managed a 1-1 draw against Sunderland which has secured them for a second season in the Premier League.  They would need to lose something like 13-0 against Stoke to go down, always assuming that Wigan beat both Arsenal and Aston Villa.  Highly unlikely.  Tonight Southampton are 14th in the League.   Watford secured their place at Wembley in the Championship Play-Off Final and Salisbury were promoted to the Blue Square Conference.  Next year they will play Grimsby Town – a fixture which I hope will not clash with a Saints game.  Tonight, Last of the Summer Wine came joint first in the pub quiz at the Lion’s Head and lost on a tie-breaker – the birthday of Jack Nicholson.  We were 10 years out and the winning team just one!  In a way, I am pleased that we didn’t win the tie-breaker as it meant that we did come top (as usual) but somebody else had the chance to take away the wine.  Not sure that all the members of my team agreed especially as there were a few questions we would have got right had we not changed our mind.  Never mind! 

No comments:

Post a Comment