Thursday, May 23, 2013

Afternoon in Romsey

 
I had decided to dedicate today as a non-study day.  Having mowed the front lawn yesterday I decided to tackle the bank.  I got two swathes completed when the starting cord on the mower snapped and recoiled into the engine.  There is no prospect of repairing the mower without great cost – the guard is damaged, the self-propelling mechanism is broken, the front wheels are misaligned and now the cord is broken.  I decided to drive to Homebase and I purchased a better quality Qualcast push motor mower which is much lighter yet stronger than the old one as it has a metal and not a plastic casing.  I spent half an hour assembling it and after a few tries managed to get it to fire up.  It is a delight to use and I realise just how much I had been struggling with the old one. This afternoon, Sara and I drove to Romsey where Sara was to meet up with her old Jamie at Home manager to purchase some crockery.  I used the opportunity to have a look around Romsey Abbey – the first time ever and came across the grave of the Earl Mountbatten of Burma quite by accident in the southern transept when I suddenly became aware that I was standing on a large dark marbled stone – it was his grave.  Tonight we had a good House Group meeting – seven of us.  After the bible study we said Compline and shared pitta bread and wine with humous and olives.  It was a really good way to end the day.  I also heard this evening that both Liz and Michael had got through the selection day – there were six successfully candidates in all out of a group of nine.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment