Thursday, May 16, 2013

Training Meetings

A day of appointments today.  My first appointment was with Nils at the Rectory for my normal monthly 1:1 training review.  It’s so hard to believe that I will only have another four of these before I am licensed by the Bishop and my meeting will be as a licensed lay minster and not a trainee although in reality my academic training will proceed for another two years.  A good meeting discussing pastoral issues and funeral and bereavement ministry.  I was back home for a light lunch of chicken soup and I also managed to mow the rear lawn – at last.  I still need to rake up the cuttings as I then had to dash off the Great Wishford for a portfolio mentor’s meeting.  This meeting last two hours, much longer than normal, because my mentor was accompanied by a Church of England inspector who is part of a team engaged in looking at different training regimes across the dioceses with a view to standardising them.  The importance of lay, as opposed to ordained, ministry is being realised and we briefly discussed opportunities for lay minsters – especially in the area of chaplaincies.  Tonight I attended a small party at the Lord Nelson for Ken, who had served on the Parish Council for 51 years and who was made a Parish Alderman (the first in the country). It was a great opportunity for old and new councillors to meet and get to know each other in an informal setting.  They seem to be a great bunch and I look forward to working with them.  Ken was given a certificate as Parish Alderman, a walking staff (as he has always been a great advocate of the footpaths and by-ways in the parish) and a fantastic map of those footpaths etc. drawn by Fiona Forbes which illustrations of important landmarks within the parish – churches, water tower, pubs and, of course, Ken’s own house.  Ivan and I stayed on until about 9 p.m. and then joined Sara, James and Rosemary for our house group which was being led by James. A very full and interesting day.  The essay still hasn’t progressed beyond my name!  I’ll have it done by next Wednesday – promise!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment