Wednesday, May 08, 2013

Champneys - Day 3 - More Dead Parrots!

Last day of my "retreat" - so sad.  It is never long enough.  The weather turned cooler and wetter this morning and the sky overcast.  Had a swim, steam room and plunge pool experience this morning and a leisurely time reading my devotionals over a cup of tea in my room.  Had a later breakfast than normal as I knew I wouldn't be getting much lunch today.  After I had packed, checked out and packed my car I sent another hour or so in the piano lounge reading more of Adrian Plass's book and drinking coffee and hot chocolate.  I finally left at around 12.30 p.m. and was home just before 2 p.m.  Peter and Steve had arrived and were working on the new kitchen ceiling - dust and plaster everywhere.  We shall have to get takeaways or go out for meals over the next couple of days.  More problems with Mary and her school friends  -the saga continues and Sara is going to talk to the school to see if all this unnecessary "bitchiness" can be stopped.  Why are teenage cars so horrible to each other!  Maybe I'll learn something tonight?  Left home at around 5.40 p.m. and drove to The Bell at Seend where a group of fellow students had agreed to have a meal together before tonight's pastoral care tutorial. Tonight we were discussing listening skills and had a quite a laugh with some of the role plays we were asked to do to understand how to listen better in pastoral situations.  I had to pretend to be someone who was mourning over his dead parrot!  Bearing in mind that I had brought the Monty Python dead parrot sketch into my last sermon it was so difficult to keep a straight face - especially as in The Bell I had told my fellow students all about my sermon on Sunday.  Great fun.  Such a good crowd to be studying with and makes all the hard work that much easier.  Watched an interesting documentary tonight on Hitler's early years of power from old newsreel films - many of which I had never seen before.

No comments:

Post a Comment