Friday, April 17, 2009

Dorking and Chocolate

Back to the commuting again today although the traffic was still light due to the Easter School Holidays continuing until next week. The heaviest traffic seemed to be along The Warren where the parents were delivering their little darlings to Norman Court Private School in their "off the road vehicles" - pushing my "on the road vehicle" off the road if you understand me! It was drizzling as I left home and positively downpouring (is that a verb?) by the time I got to my Dorking office. My desk was littered with files and documents requiring my attention and I set about going through them systematically without my secretary - who is up in Manchester today. I was feeling quite groggy with the heavy cold I seemed to have caught in Minehead. I was, however, determined to soldier on until the end of the day. I brought in some sweets from that Somerset resort for the staff and my team members. In the course of the day I managed to set in motion three potential settlements of niggling cases. At lunchtime, although still feeling groggy, I went to the gym for half an hour which I spent walking on the treadmill - light exercise but at least it was some exercise and kept me away from the restaurant. My colleague Sara (not my wife but my "office wife") said that I sounded much better and chirpier after my "one-mile" walk. I was absolutely starving hungry when I got back to the office and wolfed down my home-made haslet rolls and yoghurts. I rang the Stop the Traffik office at lunchtime to enquire how best I could make my donation to them from my CAF account and spoke to Simon. The conversation resulted in me receiving an email this evening from Simon requesting my assistance if possible to their legal intern on a matter of law for one of their projects. This evening I undertook some research and provided them with an initial response. The legal issue is in an area of law I have advised on previously in the context of my current job. It's great to be able to provide some direct help to this wonderful organisation. During the course of the day Sara kept me updated with her search for a fair trade chocolate fountain company for her party. I am so glad she hadn't jumped in with an earlier quote as many of the companies, when asked about the provision of fair trade chocolate, came up with such excuses as "No it would damage our equipment" or "No we feel it is more important to give our customers the best quality chocolate [blood can buy?]" - I added the bit in square brackets. I mentioned this in my conversation with Simon and he said "What tosh. I guess their equipment works better when it's lubricated with blood". Sara's patience and insistence paid off as she finally found a company that advertised itself as a fair-trade chocolate fountain company and Sara established that it was run by four young Christians who only use fair-traded chocolate; and the price was much less than previous quotes too. God working hard for us today? Tonight I spoke briefly to Mum about our trip to Grimsby tomorrow. I will need to pack early tomorrow morning as Tom and I are going to Hillsborough for the Saints match against Sheffield Wednesday. It is only three days after the twentieth anniversary of the Hillsborough Disaster and we will be sitting in the same stand as those poor unfortunate Liverpool victims. A one minute silence is to be observed and I do hope that the Saints fans observe it with dignity.

No comments:

Post a Comment