Wednesday, April 22, 2009

A Taxing Day

Today I worked in Salisbury and arrived at the office at 8.00 a.m. I had planned to go to the gym this morning early before going into the office; but somehow I seemed to run out of time after getting ready for work and preparing tea for me and Sara and soda bread toast and marmalade. I also hoisted the Jolly Roger pirate flag as it was Budget Day today. As usual the Budget meant increased taxation on wine, beer, spirits and tobacco as well as petrol and diesel. Alistair Darling also announced an increased band of income tax of 50% for those earning over £150,000 (not a problem for me then!). I spent the morning working in our HR Department with a number of meetings and telephone conferences. I had an omelette lunch with Sara and afterwards made a short trip out to the bank and to Boots to get Sara some "lippie" as the assistant called it. As usual, I found the task of getting the correct lipstick a challenge as the name of the shade was not on the spent tube she had given me and whilst she had called it "Spice" there was no such shade in the shop - only one called "Spicy" which didn't look the same colour to me! By method of elimination, an assistant daubing her hand with samples from the spent tube and a fresh one in the shop, and after a phone call back to Sara, I decided to buy the "Spicy" version which, in the end, appears to have been the correct choice. Back in the office I continued to deal with emails and telephone calls. Having missed out on going to the gym this morning I decided to stop by and the way home. however, Sara and I were due to go to Test Valley School to attend a presentation connected with Tom's forthcoming trip to Normandy in July. Sara and I decided that the easiest thing was for her to go to the School and I would get home to look after Tom. My visit to the gym, therefore, was cut down to 30 minutes which I spent on the treadmill and upright bike. Sara had, in the meantime, arranged to go the Test Valley School with Susan and so Samuel stayed with Tom at our house and played on his Xbox and later we all played blackjack with real cards and chips. I mowed the front lawn this evening before having a shower and watching Auf Wiedersehen Pet. At 10 a.m. my programme ended and Sara started watching...Desperate Housewives!! I checked on the football scores before retiring to bed to find that Manchester United had beaten Portsmouth 2-0 to go top of the Premier League by three points with a game in hand. It looks like Liverpool's chances of winning the title have been struck a major, possibly fatal, blow.

No comments:

Post a Comment