Sunday, April 26, 2009

Washing Cars

Quite a busy day today with church in the morning at 9.30 a.m. where I read the gospel (Luke 24:36-48). It was also a very special service as Mary was formally commissioned as a member of the church choir and received her RSCM collar and medallion. It was a very proud and nostalgic moment for me as a former chorister and lovely to recite the choristers' prayer with her. Immediately after the service I drove Tom up to Barry's Fields for his Clarendon football match against Laverstock. Unfortunately they lost 2-4. I did return to church briefly for coffee and a chat about tonight's Annual Parochial Council Meeting (APCM). Back home after the match, I cut the grass on the bank and mowed the rear lawn. Both looked lovely after they had been cut. Lunch was roast pork which need a little longer in the oven than Sara thought. I tried to speed up the crisping of the cracking by placing the fat under the grill resulting in the crackling being reduced to cinders for the most part. At 3 p.m. we all went over to the Village Hall armed with buckets and sponges for the Great Car Wash for Project Uganda. As part of this month's Food for Thought, we were washing cars at £5 each with the money going to Project Uganda, a village charity, to provide mosquito nets for the people of a Ugandan village. As each mosquito net (for two people) costs £5 it meant that for every car we washed we could, effectively, save two lives. In all we washed 32 cars and raised £167.50 - a really excellent achievement. I had 50 minutes to get out of my wet clothes, have a bath and get down to St. John's for the APCM at 6 p.m. I have to confess to having dozed off in the bath but still made it down to St. John's in good time. The meeting took its usual format, reports with a lively discussion about mission giving and stewardship followed by elections. I was appointed to the Alderbury Deanery Synod and thereby relinquished my elected seat on the PCC but was immediately returned to the PCC as an ex officio member by virtue of my appointment to the Deanery Synod. This I thought meant that there would be five places for five nominees for the elected positions on the PCC and that Hamish and Stephen would be elected in addition to Klynn. However, on the night, a sixth person put their name forward and Klynn withdraw his name to avoid an election. Although it is great to see Hamish and Stephen on the PCC I was quite devastated by Klynn's withdrawal. I am absolutely certain that he would have won the election but he was concerned not to deprive the others of the opportunity. The meeting ended with an annual round up of the year in slides with a few excellent ones of Sara. I wasn't too impressed with the ones of me! Klynn, Chris and I ended the evening in the Lion's Head where we discussed the meeting and the future. I am sure that Klynn will be just as effective off the PCC as being on it. I came home to find Sara watching "Desperate Housewives".

No comments:

Post a Comment