Monday, April 27, 2009

"Kitless"

It was absolutely pouring with rain when I got up this morning. We had both slept quite soundly as the fur cover on our bed was unruffled - quite unusual. I made tea and showered and threw my gym kit in the car as I intended to go down to the gym after work today. I had a short commute again to our Salisbury office and set to work on the preparation for a telephone tribunal hearing in the Exeter Employment Tribunals. I bought coffee and a sausage muffin for breakfast as I had left the house without anything to eat this morning. The hearing went very well indeed with the employment judge giving an indication to the other side that their case was going to take some convincing. This set me up in a good frame of mind for the rest of the day although all the uncertainties at work still remain in my mind. I lunched in the office restaurant with Sara - a reasonable Thai green curry and rice - thinking that this is something we will not be able to do together much longer. During the course of the afternoon I learned that a court hearing in London tomorrow was not going to be as straight forward as we had thought. My original intention had been for Belinda to appear on the Company's behalf as it seemed that the Court Order would be agreed by the other side. This was not to be the case and so it was agreed that I should represent the Company in court. I needed to get some documents emailed to me immediately and left the office at 5.30 p.m. to go to the station and get a ticket for the 9.20 a.m. train to London from Salisbury tomorrow. After stopping to get some money from the ATM at Waitrose I arrived at the gym to discover that in my haste this morning, I had failed to notice that my kit bag contained neither shirt nor shorts - only a towel and my shoes. I had to abandon the idea of gym exercise and carried on home where Sara had cooked a lovely cottage pie. Sara intended to go to the gym herself but couldn't find her gym shoes. I offered her mine (at least I knew where mine were) but she didn't feel comfortable in them - so no gym for any of us tonight! I will have to go tomorrow on my return from London. I had a lovely long chat on the telephone tonight with Mike Billington from Manchester who was telling me all about a court case he had been conducting against his son's landlord. We made a point of promising to meet up during the next convenient trip I have up to Liverpool/Manchester. It will be so good to see him again. Mike would also like to visit Salisbury to see Stonehenge and the Cathedral. He was telling me that although he had been a devout Roman Catholic and at one point had been considering a career in the church, he was now a non-believer. Sara and I watched a programme on Henry VIII presented by David Starkey and I was amazed to find out that the sarcophagus intended for King Henry VIII (originally designed for Cardinal Wolsey actually) was finally used to house the coffin of Viscount Lord Horatio Nelson in St. Paul's Cathedral (see picture).

No comments:

Post a Comment