Thursday, April 23, 2009

Saints' Day

A day of mixed emotions. Today is St. George's Day, a day when we normally celebrate our Patron Saint; but there was not much to celebrate of a Saintly nature today! I woke early and went to Five Rivers for an early morning swim - 12 lengths - before going into the office at 7.45 a.m. for a breakfast of skinny latte coffee and a bacon muffin. Absolutely delicious as I was so hungry after that exercise. I had a meeting from 8.30 a.m. until 11 a.m. to discuss a tricky health claim dispute and at lunchtime I joined Sara and three others for a Christian Fellowship Meeting where we discussed Mark's Gospel story of the quietening of the storm on Lake Galilee. Immediately afterwards it was back for a further meeting which lasted for the rest of the day. Sara tried to phone me during the meeting but I couldn't speak to her as I was tied up. When I eventually did phone her back it was for her to give me the devastating news that Southampton Football Club was being docked 10 points by the Football League which meant that the Saints would become a League 1 (third tier) football club next season and could start in August with minus 10 points. As I read later on Facebook, the fans are so angry at the way the directors and to some extent the players have been so greedy and put themselves before the fans. All we can do now is get behind the club and seek its survival - starting in League 1 with a positive viewpoint and work hard to get the club into the playoffs at least to get them back up again. Premier League football seems such a long way away now. Tom and I will go to the Burnley match on Saturday to show support and to find out if our fellow season ticket holders will be renewing too. Hopefully the cost of a season ticket will be reduced and I've promised Tom we'll try and go to more away matches too. This evening I went down to Bournemouth to attend Boscombe Lodge's St. George's Night/Sarum Night meeting and dinner. It was a most enjoyable event as it always is. Brilliant ceremony conducted by Gareth. We had a fantastic English St. George's Night supper afterwards of fresh homemade spicy oxtail soup - the best I've ever tasted - steak and kidney pie, bread and butter pudding with Devon clotted cream (must go swimming or to the gym tomorrow) and cheese and biscuits. On my way home this evening I forgot that I hadn't filled my car with fuel this morning and the low fuel warning light came on in the middle of the New Forest. Luckily I remembered where there was an all-night service station on the A31 and filled up. The diesel was, in fact, the cheapest I've seen it around these parts. Tonight I grappled with Facebook looking at all the comments from the Saints Fans as well as some gloating comments from Skates! A lovely evening but a dreadful day to be a Saints Fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment