Sunday, April 19, 2009

A Morning in Grimsby and Cleethorpes

I must have been very tired indeed last night as I didn't awake until 9 a.m. this morning - incredibly late for me. Mum brought me up a mug of tea and I read my daily readings before going in to see Tom who, also, had failed to awake at his usually early time of 7 a.m. I had a shower and after cajoling Tom to wash his face we had breakfast - me porridge and apple followed by toast and marmalade and Tom had breakfast cereal. I sawed off a couple of branches from an overhanging lilac tree for Mum and moved a heavy rock to ease the work for fencers who are coming tomorrow to install new fencing around her garden. Tom and I then left the house at around 11.20 a.m. after watching the football "highlights" on TV. We called in on Auntie Mim just as Uncle Harry J was getting off the bus. We spent half an hour with them discussing fair trade chocolate and Uncle Harry J's operation on his hand. Mim's granddaughter Mandy's tumour has caused her problems again and she is on chemo. My cousin Ann, is also unwell. We invite Mim and Harry J to Sara's birthday party in June but it doesn't look like they will be able to come. It was lovely to see them and they made us very welcome as always. Tom and I then went down to the seafront at Cleethorpes parking the car in Prince's Road and walked through the railway station to the amusements on the front. We had a few good wins on the "roll a [two]penny" before returning to Carr Lane for a lunch of roast chicken and Yorkshire curd. We left Grimsby at around 2.15 p.m. and took the A16 road (stopping at Fotherby for Appleby's Ices) through Louth, Boston, Spalding and Stamford and then on to Kettering and Northampton on the A43 to join the A34 down to Bullington Cross and home. We arrived back at 7.30 p.m. Jill Hougton had left me a lovely bottle of red Argentinian wine as a thank you for copying discs for her of Danielle Strickland's talks at Spring Harvest. I spoke briefly to Mum to let her know that I'd got back safely and wrote up my blog. Sara watched - yes you can guess by now - "Desperate Housewives".

No comments:

Post a Comment