Wednesday, April 01, 2009

King Solomon's Temple

Today was the second day of three this week when I am working just down the road in our Salisbury office. As I missed out on my swimming last night I had set the alarm for 5.30 a.m. and after a brief 20-minute lie in I got up just before 6 a.m. and made tea as usual and hoisted the St. George's flag as England are playing Ukraine in the World Cup Qualifier at Wembley tonight. I set off for the Leisure Centre arriving just before 7 a.m. and spent half an hour swimming - a very relaxing start to the morning and quite a lovely one with the large red Sun climbing up in the morning sky. I had a nice warm shower afterwards and felt glowing. I arrived at the office at 7.50 a.m. and got myself a bacon bap and a coffee. The day was filled with meetings and I got quite a lot done although I had something of a headache at the end of the day. I had lunch with Sara (I had to pay for her again!) and then went for a short walk into town to get some cash and some lavender pillow spray from Boots which I find helps me get off to sleep at night after a busy day. I also bought a birthday card for my friend Mike Billington in Manchester - he always ribs me about forgetting it - which meant I also had stop off at the post office for stamps. This evening I went to my lodge (Sarum) which was well attended with quite a number of visitors from Hampshire. We had an excellent lecture by David Skinner from Hampshire & IOW Province entitled The Logistics of King Solomon's Temple in which he explored whether of not the Biblical descriptions as to the mode of and material used in the construction of the Temple at Jerusalem could have been logistically possible. Some incredibly interesting and detailed facts and theories came out including the view that the tin used to mix with the copper to make the bronze pillars at the entrance to the Temple came from Cornwall. He also showed how it could only have been possible to construct the pillars themselves in half cubit segments. He provided us each with an interesting map of the Holy Land at the time of the building showing where the clay plains of Zeredathah and Succoth were situated (allegedly where the brass pillars were cast), the situation of Tyre within Phoenicia and some interesting facts about the Dead Sea and the Sea of Galilee. The evening ended with an excellent dinner of mushroom soup, roast lamb, lemon tart and cheese and biscuits. I met a number of members of Stonehenge Chapter which I hope to join next Tuesday. A lovely evening. I returned home to find Sara watching.......Desperate Housewives! By the way, England beat Ukraine 2-1 to continue their unbeaten run in their Group.

No comments:

Post a Comment