Friday, April 30, 2010

Analyze That

I was up early this morning and drove into Salisbury to meet with Lee and pick up the tickets for the Army v Navy rugby game at Twickenham tomorrow. We met in Cafe Nero over a couple of coffees. After doing some banking I went shopping in Waitrose and bought a cheap England rugby shirt for tomorrow at the sports store next door. A nice neutral shirt - I am going as a guest of the Army but will be supporting the Navy! I dropped off Rod's tickets at his home off the Downton Road. He was not at home and I was fearful of putting the tickets through his letter box as a rather large and noisy canine creature seemed to be on the other side. I decided to leave the tickets in an envelope propped up against the front door. Rod later phoned me to thank me for my prudence because had I put the tickets through the letterbox the dog would have chewed them up and he wouldn't be going to Twickers tomorrow! I met up with Sara, Richard and Linda for lunch at the Lord Nelson's Arms (the plural of these limbs seems to be an oxymoron) where Sara was acting as waitress and barmaid. There was a large crowd of pensioners in again today. I sat with Richard and Linda as we had a light lunch of baguettes (mine was tuna mayonnaise) and drank a new beer Roger had just put on - not bad either - a bit of a bitter bitter. After lunch I set about the research for my lecture on Ezra and Nehemiah which I am giving at a masonic meeting in Brighton on Tuesday and Sara spent most of the afternoon working on our Food for Thought service on the 9th May. I really enjoyed the theological and historical research surrounding the building of the temples at Jerusalem and the Babylonian exile. I used my study bible and its concordance, biblical commentaries and Google to assist me in my research. This evening I set about putting those researches into an interesting lecture and managed to write up the first three pages setting the scene. Still much more to do but it will be done by Tuesday morning. Tonight Sara and I watched Analyze That - a film starring Robert De Niro and Billy Crystal. In it a Mafia boss (De Niro) dupes a psychiatrist (Crystal) into thinking De Niro has a severe mental problem and is consequently released from prison into his care at Crystal's own home. The consequences are humorous with some great one-liners e.g. in trying to be rehabilitated De Niro gets a job as a car salesman and points out to a young couple who are thinking of buying a car "Look, the boot is even big enough to put three bodies in it!". Early night now as I need to be up early to catch the train from Grateley to Twickenham via Reading with Klynn and Richard. Hope Richard remembers to bring the sausage butties he's promised!

No comments:

Post a Comment