Thursday, April 29, 2010

Forgiveness

I am really beginning to feel less like being retired and more like I am on a career change. I feel more certain that having put aside my life at my former company, my energies are now directed towards my own business and church as well as a fuller involvement in running the home and being a father. However, with Sara being back, I let her get the kids ready for school today. She went off this morning to Braishfield Garden Centre to learn about how not to kill clematis (they need gallons of water apparently) and the advantages of pruning. She met up with Lucy as arranged but also met Rosemary from our House Group. Rosemary is a very keen horticulturist. Whilst she was out, I set to in tidying up and dusting the dining room. polishing the door windows, and I also piled logs into the fire grate to give the room a focal point. We are expecting a decent number at House Group this evening. Sara returned in time for a late lunch of fresh carrot and coriander soup followed by chicken salad which I prepared. I am enjoying salads again now that the good weather seems to have returned. This afternoon I researched and reviwed the material for House Group - a continuation of the book "The Shack" but with the topic of forgiveness at the forefront. Tom was playing football this evening - a vital match against Sarum Juniors at Pembroke School in Salisbury. If Clarendon U13s win their remaining four games (and a win against Sarum was essential) then they could win the league championship and get promoted to a much bigger league. Unfortunately, because I had to get back to lead the group I couldn't stay. Tom was brought back by the mother of another team player with the wonderful news that they won 2-1. This means they are still in the running for promotion. Nail-biting, just as it is for Grimsby Town following Barnet's loss this week. As mentioned earlier, tonight we discussed "forgiveness" and the essential fact that it is all about "letting go" and "freeing oneself" rather than feeling weak or condoning the acts of another. Not "forgive and forget" but rather "forgive and move on". Pain and suffering cannot nor should not, necessarily be forgotten - they are reminders to learn from the experience build on it for the future. Nurturing a grudge, however, destroys the person with it, not the person to whom it is directed. We had some good personal testimonies and, I think, a better understanding of the subject. Two members of the group, in particular, are grappling with the concept in ongoing tough situations right now. Afterwards, Klynn stayed for his customary whisky. He finishes his existing job tomorrow and starts with a new company on Tuesday. I really hope it works out as he has been struggling with his current role for some time and needs the change. People like Richard and I can take up some of his ministry roles here with FFT until he gets settled in.

No comments:

Post a Comment