Friday, April 16, 2010

Blind Side

Another lovely day today - I think spring has finally arrived and winter is, at long last, behind us. I took the opportunity to complete my articles for the parish magazine and felt a gr est deal of relief at having done so. Sara was working in the Nelson's Arms this lunchtime and I drove into Salisbury to have lunch with Susan G and Phil D, two former colleagues from my old company. I also met my old legal colleague Belinda who is currently preparing for a tribunal in Southampton which had started before I left. It will be her first full advocacy in an employment tribunal so I wish her every success. Susan, Phil and I lunched in Da Vinci's and I ate a very good feta cheese and prawn salad - another symbol of spring/summer if I am choosing salads again! I also attended to a couple of small errands whilst in Salisbury. This evening, as another birthday treat for Sara, I had arranged for Helen C to child mind so that Sara and I could go to the Odeon in Salisbury to see Blind Side - a film starring one of my favourite actors, Sandra Bullock. It's a great feel good film which tells the story of a black orphan being brought up by a white Christian family in Memphis. His footballing skills need to be matched by his academic skills in order to go to University to play in the major leagues. I confess that it did nothing to increase(?) my knowledge of the incomprehensible game that is American Football! It always seems to me that the ball hardly ever touches the feet and it is perfectly okay to foul anyone else on the field who does not have it. Transferred to English soccer, those rules would see everybody red-carded within the first five minutes of the game with the possible exception of the goalkeepers! Maybe when we go to the States later this year, we can see a game for real and somebody can explain the rules. It's a good film, however, and Sandra is exceptionally good as the inspirational and, at some times, pushy mother. As a true story, I am told the book is infinitely better than the film. If so, I must read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment