Saturday, April 10, 2010

Spring Harvest - Day 3 (Off Site)

Actually not a day at Spring Harvest at all today - a day out to Southampton to see the mighty Saints take on Charlton Athletic. Tom decided that he would stay at Minehead with his friend Samuel and not come to the match, so I set off at 10.30 a.m. after having struggled to get Sara's car out of the muddy car parking spot we had so inappropriately chosen when we arrived on Thursday. The car radio gave me my first news for a couple of days and I heard that tragically the Polish President, Lech Kachzynski, his wife and several top Polish military officials had been killed when a plane heading for Russia crashed. A total of 100 fatalities. The traffic through Taunton was appalling again as was the south coast road - "grockles" coming back from a week's holiday in Cornwall for the main part - or so it seemed. I eventually parked my car in the usual car park at around 1.50 p.m. - enough time for fishcake and chips at the St. Mary's Chippie and to get a programme before the match started. Andy, Tom and John gave me a clap as I mounted the steps to congratulate me on remembering the time of the kick-off after my stupidity on Monday. They said, however, that it had not been a good game and that I had missed little. Today Saints managed a 1-0 win against the Addicks closing the gap to 8 points off the play-offs with one game in hand and taking themselves to 9th position. Only two teams between them and a play-off place. Grimsby managed an away win against Hereford but Cheltenham also won. They are still badly adrift with no games in hand. Relegation is now looking a certainty. I left Southampton and 6.00 p.m. and was back in Minehead by 9 a.m. - parking in a less troublesome spot. I was in time to join our church party at Klynn and Susan's for drinks and nibbles before going to bed, once more, exhausted and quite late after a long chat over more than a bottle of wine!

No comments:

Post a Comment