Saturday, October 02, 2010

First League Home Win for Saints

Up early again today to take Tom to Old Basing to play football for Clarendon Junior FC Under 14s against Basing Rovers Under 14s. We all met up at the Hilltop Grill car park and drove in convoy to Old Basing - I was "volunteered" by Gary to lead the way with my SatNav. Fortunately my newly updated SatNav got us all there safely in good time. The Basing side were all big lads - one looked to be at least eighteen with a moustache! - and I am not convinced they were all under 14. The were quite an intimidating bunch. Tom play at the beginning but was substituted at half time when Clarendon were losing 5-0! The second half was better for Clarendon - they only let in one further goal - losing the game 6-0. After two convincing wins this was a great disappointment. Tom's team didn't seem to sparkle at all - they all looked tired and I wonder whether this has something to do with the late Friday nights at the Youth Club. We got back to Winterslow at 12.15 and spent a little bit of time in the garden with the BB-Guns firing at a tin can. Tom decided he was feeling too tired to get himself ready to go to Southampton for the Saints match against Bournemouth (I suspect he wanted to spend more time this afternoon with his new gun) and chose to accompany Sara and Mary to her ballet lesson in Salisbury. The traffic into Southampton was terrible again - I guess it was because of all the Bournemouth fans coming into the city. I didn't get to our usual car park until 2.15 p.m. so grabbed a sandwich and a sausage roll from the Co-op shop nearby and took my "packed lunch" into the ground with me. Saints won today 2-0 after Ricky Lambert scored two penalties - both clear to us supporters - and could have won by a bigger margin had other penalties been awarded and had our strikers been a little bit more on the ball. Still we have gone up another couple of places and Bournemouth dropped to third. The pundits on the radio feel that Saints will still be near the top come the end of the season - certainly if they continue to play as they did today. On my way back home I dropped some Vie at Home catalogues off to one of Sara's customers in Lords Hill - in the northern part of the city. Tonight, Sara cooked salmon with a salad and a bottle of white wine. I also spoke to Mum who seems well despite her aches and pains. I tried to speak to Sara's Dad in America but had to leave a message on his Skype voicemail. An early night beckons as I am taking part in a tour of the old Walsall trolleybus system tomorrow in a vintage Walsall bus and must be in Wolverhampton by 9.30 a.m. This means setting off at around 6.30 a.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment