Saturday, October 16, 2010

Titanic Auction at Devizes

We were up early today as Tom had a home football match this morning against Winchester Under 14s at Barry's Fields. I took Tom up for his training and then came back home to write up yesterday's blog and deal with some mail. I also called upon Julie McE for another subscription form for one of our new team members. I returned to watch the first half of Tom's match. Whilst I was there I saw Clarendon score two goals (the second by Tom) but had to leave at half time to drive to Devizes to get to the Titanic Auction in good time. Sara told me the second half was not so good and the final score was 2-5 to Winchester. I met up with Dave, Sue, Nikki, Amanda and Robert at Devizes and spent the afternoon in the saleroom of Henry Aldrich & Son. The biggest item sold was an original White Star Line poster advertising the Titanic and Olympic's transatlantic service for £53,000 (see picture). Dave bought a couple of original chairs from the Olympic's first class a la carte restaurant for £2,000. I, rather more modestly bought a plaque commemorating the end of the QE2's service and a mounted piece of her turbine blade when her steam turbine engines were removed and replaced by diesel engines in 1986. These items had original been owned by Captain Warwick, one of the QE2's former captains. After the sale, Dave, Sue, their friends Dave and Jim and I went to an excellent Chinese Restuarant called the Bamboo in central Devizes. We had a most enjoyable supper there - sharing a Chinese Banquet. A lovely day out. Unfortunately I discovered, when I got home, that Saints had lost their game at Huddersfield 2-0 and Grimsby had only been able to manage a 1-1 draw against Newport County at Blundell Park. Tomorrow Sara is spending the day at Totton on another Vie training course. Tom and I might go bowling in the afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment