Friday, October 15, 2010

Hope for Heroes

A very early morning start when Ed Thomas called for me to give him a lift into Salisbury to attend the special Ambassadors' Business Breakfast at the Grasmere Hotel. It was "Visitors' Day" today and so the meeting was well attended with the MP for Salisbury, John Glenn and a representative from Help for Heroes present. Ambassadors donated the sum of £1000 to that charity and it also gave me an opportunity to quietly hand over a further cheque from the sale of my masonic "Ezra" lecture. I was very impressed indeed with John Glenn who spoke a great deal of sense about the support needed for small businesses and training for the youth of today. After the meeting I drove to Waitrose, parked the car, and went into the city centre to collect my frame water-colour. I was very pleased with the result. I treated myself to a Costa Coffee before returning to Waitrose. In Castle Street I bumped into two former colleagues from my old company - would retired like me and the other on maternity leave. I filled up with fuel at Waitrose and then drove back to the village. I called in at the Lord Nelson's Arms to see Sara. The pub was really busy today and so after a glass of ginger beer (non-alcoholic!) and a chat with a few of the patrons I returned home to write up my articles for the parish magazine. Tonight I took Tom to the Sarum Academy at Bemerton Heath for football practice. He is feeling a bit low about his football (as are several of the other lads) after their last two crushing defeats. A pep talk from the manager, Gary, put him in better spirits. Tonight Sara was over at Potterne, near Devizes, doing a makeover for clients. She retuned home at around 11.00 p.m and we watched a TV programme about a haunted house in the States.

No comments:

Post a Comment