Sunday, October 10, 2010

Hove Synagogue Service

I was up very early this morning - my BlackBerry is now working again and the alarm awoke me at 7.00 a.m. After making tea for us, I left Sara in bed and walked to St. John's Church for the Early Morning Eucharist Service being conducted by Elizabeth. She gave an excellent homily on the words "thank you" and how they can often ensure a "second grace" and a deeper understanding of why somebody has done something for which you have thanked them. Returning home after the service I found the family still in bed and obviously not going to All Saints today. I spent part of the morning dealing with some mail from yesterday and then left to drive to Hove where I was attending a synagogue service in New Church Road. I arrived about half an hour early which was as well as parking is appalling in Brighton and Hove - residents parking restrictions everywhere. I had to park about four blocks away - outside St. Philip's Church of England church ironically. The service was extremely interesting - very traditional with very little congregational involvement. A cantor sings various prayers and psalms - a brilliant tenor voice with the music sounding more like an operatic aria than a sacred piece. The rabbi gave an address/sermon on charitable giving and the need to look after one another - very similar message to that of Jesus when he said "love one another as I have loved you" and "love your neighbour as you would yourself". After the service tea and cakes were provided by kosher caterers - the most wonderful cookies. Those of the Jewish Faith certainly know how to feed themselves and others. I called on Peter M as he lives in the same road but he was out. I returned home via Southampton where I stopped off at Town Pier to have a look at the new Cunard liner, Queen Elizabeth, which is to be named tomorrow just before she sets off on her maiden voyage (to the Canary Islands). She is a massive 92,000 tons - similar in appearance to Queen Victoria. I think she, like her sister, look top heavy with a massive superstructure above a shallow charcoal hull. Unlike her two predecessors she is not designed for the harsh North Atlantic run and will be confined to more sedate cruising. I think a name like Caronia, Mauretania or Carmania would have been more appropriate. I took a few photos in the failing light. I returned home around 7.30 p.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment