Tuesday, August 20, 2013

A day in Grimsby (and Cleethorpes)

I didn’t wake up this morning until 8.45 am and slept soundly through the night – although I was snoring loudly!  I think I must have been really tired due to having had a lot of late and disturbed nights recently and I am no longer used to driving long journeys of 250 miles or more.   Mum made us a breakfast of smoked haddock with poached egg.  I had a fairly lazy morning writing up my blog and updating my status on Facebook and reading my devotionals.  I took Mum out in the car, late morning, into Grimsby town centre to pay a bill and visit her bank (which being the Halifax was also useful as I had a cheque to pay into my own Halifax account).  We had coffees at Café Nero in Binns and then visited Poundland and finally Ron Ramsden’s where she bought a small radio to be able to listen to the Test Match in her car.   After a snack lunch of ham buns (rolls), a sausage roll and strawberries with condensed milk (yummy) I painted Mum’s wall with terracotta emulsion paint where the wall had been re-plastered following a damp problem.  I was really pleased with my work as the fresh paint blended in so well with the existing wall.  Later in the afternoon I went for a lovely stroll into Cleethorpes – walking through Sidney Park past the pond where I regularly fell in when sailing my model boats and on to Blundell Park, home of Grimsby Town FC.  I crossed over Fuller Street railway bridge onto the promenade which runs alongside the Humber Estuary where the tide was high.  I sat down for a while and watched the waves gently lapping against the hard and also watched a few ships sail by in the middle of the estuary.  Tonight I took Mum for a carvery meal at the Trawlerman in North Sea Lane - £3.99 for a turkey and beef roast meal washed down by a pint of Marston’s Pedigree for £2.60 (it costs £3.60 with member’s 10% discount at the Ageas Bowl). A lovely and fulfilling day.  Tomorrow a visit to Auntie Mim’s and a trip over to Liverpool.

No comments:

Post a Comment