Thursday, August 22, 2013

Ferry 'cross the Mersey/GCSE Results Day

Woke up reasonably early this morning and updated my blog whilst enjoying a cup of tea – that first cup is so essential in the morning.  A big day – GCSE results, and Malcolm and Sam were going into his school at 9.30 am. To get them and Thom and Sara were going into Test Valley School to get his results.  I stayed in Malcolm’s flat this morning working on Sunday’s service whilst waiting for the results.  Thom has got the grades he needs to go to Peter Symonds Sixth Form College to study history and Sam has done well also.  No surprises or disappointments so both Malcolm and I are pleased and proud of our lads.  I walked down to St. Michael’s Station at midday and bought a day rover ticket for £4.80 which includes use of train, bus and ferry.  I caught the train into Liverpool Central Station and walked down Church Street and Lord Street down to the Pier Head (which has changed out of all recognition from when I lived here in the 70s).  I spent a couple of hours in the new Museum of Liverpool (which is free) and was amazed at all the wonderful exhibits – but especially an extended section on the Liverpool Overhead Railway with a complete carriage on a re-constructed section which you can go inside as well as a 3-D relief map showing the course of the railway.  There are wonderful views from viewing galleries of Liverpool’s Three Graces and looking up river as well as across to Wallasey and the ferries.  After the museum I went on a river cruise down the Mersey on MV Royal Iris (formerly MV Mountwood when I lived here) to the lower docks and then across to Wallasey where I disembarked for a closer look at St. Paul’s Church which has had its truncated spire restored.  By this time it was 4 p.m. and I had not eaten so I bought some snacks from Morrisons.  I caught a bus from Seacombe Ferry to Woodside (Birkenhead) which took me a long way around the East Float Docks via Birkenhead Park to Woodside where I caught a ferry (the same MV Royal Iris) back to Liverpool.  MV Snowdrop (formerly MV Woodchurch) had also come into service and was crossing to Wallasey as we set off for Liverpool.  The third of the trio (MV Royal Daffodil – formerly MV Overchurch) was seen in East Float, Birkenhead from the bus.  One ferry is usually always held in reserve.  I returned to St. Michael’s on the Merseyrail underground via James St., Moorfields, Lime Street and Liverpool Central stations.  This evening, Malcolm, Sam and I drank some sparkling wine, which I had apparently brought quite some time ago, to celebrate his GCSE results and then we enjoyed a seventeen dish mezza meal at our favourite Greek restaurant in Lark Lane.  Malcolm and Sam are off to Bristol and Truro to visit relations tomorrow and I shall leave around late morning, visiting Speke Hall (National Trust) over lunchtime and will probably drive back down south through Wales and having a look at Tintern Abbey (if there is time).  It’s been a lovely break away from Wiltshire.

No comments:

Post a Comment