Saturday, August 03, 2013

A Day of Steady Cricket

A fairly warm day today although rain had been threatened.  I spent the morning sorting our some paperwork and helped Thom to find a few houses in the village on the paper round he is doing for somebody who is on holiday.  Some of the numbering in Saxon Leas, Winterslow, can be confusing but together (I know the area through delivering Christian Aid envelopes) we in about 20 minutes - me finding the houses and Thom delivering the papers.  Just before midday I set off for the Ageas Bowl in Southampton to watch the second day of the County Championship game against Glamorgan.  I watched Hampshire bat their last few balls and saw them finish their innings at 349 all out.  After lunch Glamorgan put on 226 runs for 4 by the time stumps were drawn.  As I watched this game I also listened to Test Match Special from the Third Ashes Test Match at Old Trafford on my little Roberts personal sports radio - which I always carry with me. At the same time I also kept watch on the scores in the Football League (league football formally starting again today). Portsmouth lost badly to Oxford United, both Bournemouth and Reading won their games.  At Old Trafford, England managed to bat on with Pietersen scoring 113 runs which will help England avoid the follow-on.  However, Australia remain in a commanding position but will need to bat quickly and then hope to get England out quickly if the follow-on is avoided and if they have any hope of winning the match.  Anything other than a win for them will mean that England retain the Ashes and they will have to wait until England go "down under" before they can have another crack at winning them..

No comments:

Post a Comment