Wednesday, August 21, 2013

From coast to coast

A really busy day today including a journey from coast to coast.  I was up at a much more respectable time today – 7 a.m. and made tea for myself and Mum although Mum was up even earlier and had had a bath.  Weather warm and muggy but dry.  After a breakfast of boiled gammon and tomato, she went off to the hairdresser’s in her car and I drove into Grimsby town centre to purchase 10 lbs of excellent Lincolnshire sausages from a tradition (and long established butchers).  After this purchase I stopped off at Tesco near Corporation Road Bridge and bought flowers to take to Mim.  I called in on Auntie Mim in Cleethorpes at about 11 a.m. and spent about three-quarters of an hour with her.  Her grandson’s girlfriend called as she was going off to collect her pension and visit Jim, her grandson, who is suffering from a severe brain tumour.  We have him in our daily prayers at church. I was back at Mum’s by about 12 noon and went to Marklew’s for fish and chips for our lunch – they were truly excellent – piping hot, fresh and tasty. I am afraid driving around Grimsby these last few days has been amazingly depressing – the town is a shadow of its former self and very scruffy and dirty.  The fish and chips are a beacon in an environment of gloom. Mum had a hospital appointment this afternoon and she set off in her car at around 1.30 p.m. and I also set off for Liverpool but not before a cyclist collided with my wing mirror as I was sitting in the car setting the satnav.  Fortunately I was able to piece it together but he has left a small impact mark.  I drove over to Liverpool via Scunthorpe, Goole and onto the M62 across the Pennines.  I arrived in Liverpool at 4 p.m. after a fantastic journey of just 2 hours and 20 minutes.  The new car was purring along.  Had a short stroll along Otterspool Promenade after coffee at the Mersey Shopping Centre at Speke. Tonight dinner with my host Malcolm and spiritual adviser, Chris, at the light of Bengal Indian restaurant on Aigburth Road where we talked about church matters, our respective sons’ hopes and aspirations for tomorrow’s GCSE results and, inevitably, cricket.  A pleasant and full day today.  So pleased to hear, this evening, that Mum is feeling so much better after my visit to Grimsby.

No comments:

Post a Comment