Friday, August 23, 2013

Farewell Liverpool

My last day on Merseyside and the last day of my short holiday in the north of England.  Malcolm left for the office leaving Sam and me in the flat.  I spent a leisurely morning packing and updating my blog before leaving myself at around 11 a.m.  I drove to Speke Hall, a Tudor house built in 1598, close to Liverpool Airport. As a National Trust property I was granted free admission and spent an hour and a half looking around the house and gardens.  After a quick stop at Morrison's to top up on fuel for the car and buy a sandwich, I set off for the long trek back down to Wiltshire.  Hearing that the motorway system seemed to be jammed up with Bank Holiday traffic heading south with a smattering of accidents to add to the mayhem, I decided to take the more leisurely and pleasanter route down through the Marches - dipping in and out of Wales several times and going through Shrewsbury, Hereford and Monmouth and over the Severn Bridge returning to Winterslow via Chippenham and Devizes.  It was warm and muggy when I arrived back so I had a lovely shower and a glass or two of pink Cava to celebrate Thom's success in getting his grades to go to Peter Symonds. I found it hard to get to sleep tonight and watched a documentary on The Who's making of Quadrophenia - one of my favourite albums of the 70s.  This was followed by a concert given recently by Roger Daltrey and Pete Townshend.  More nostalgia.  It's been quite a week of nostalgia with visits to Grimsby, Liverpool and memories of the 1970s.

No comments:

Post a Comment