Monday, August 26, 2013

August Bank Holiday - At Alabare Place

August Bank Holiday.  In the past this has been such an important day (when I was working full-time) but since I left Friends it seems more like an ordinary day now.  For those for whom it was an additional holiday the day was gloriously hot and I am sure many went down to the beach.  I decided to do my "stint" at Alabare Place as the bank holiday makes little difference to the homeless.  The Drop-In Centre was buzzing today with few staff on.  I made tea and coffee for the staff and chatted to a number of service users who are now getting used to seeing me around and have a better understanding of my role - I even got to talking to one woman about the existence of God.  I remember some of the words from John's sermon last night - quoting from the French poet Paul Claudel  "Speak about Christ only when asked; But live so that people ask about Christ".  Some of the service users clearly do want to talk about their faith. I love that and have written it down in my learning journal.  Another great topic for a sermon, although Sara doesn't agree with Claudel as she has just read that 50% of Americans for example, don't know any Christians to ask so doesn't think that is the way forward..  More debates ahead I think. I would be interested to read any comments on this posted here.  This afternoon I indulged in one of the usual Bank Holiday pursuits - gardening- and mowed the two internal lawns.  In the heat it was quite hard work but satisfying.  The green bin is already two-third full of greenery and I have just seen the grass on the bank which also needs a serious cut - the penalty for going away for the best part of a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment