Monday, August 05, 2013

Rain stops play - England retain the Ashes

The weather was very changeable today - starting bright but the afternoon.  I worked in the study in the early morning and then went to Alabare Place Drop-In Centre to do my stint as the chaplain there.  I spent about three hours there helping the staff and chatting to one or two of the service users.  After that I spent a couple of hours working in the library of Sarum College on the worship portfolio. Sara and Mary had intended to go strawberry picking this afternoon but the rain put an end to that adventure.  It was good to meet my old work colleague, Derek, at The Boathouse for a shandy and a chat after I had done my stint at Sarum College.  Derek filled me in with the comings and goings at my old workplace and it seems things are all changing once again.  I am so pleased to be venturing into pastures new right now.  We both discussed our mutual interests in World War II history (particularly the war in Europe) and football and we are both hoping that our respective teams (Southampton and Norwich) will have a good season in the Premier League.  I had to dash off at the end of what could have been a very long and enjoyable evening so I could attend a meeting of Winterslow Parish Council. It was quite a long meeting too with 23 items on the agenda not to mention public question time and quite a few matters arising.  Thom's artwork for a Parish Council logo was met with early approval although time did not permit a longer debate.  The poor weather in the afternoon did, at least, have one positive effect - The Ashes game was abandoned at 3 p.m. this afternoon resulting in a draw and this means that England retain the Ashes - until the winter at least! Also, the match between Hampshire and Glamorgan ended in a mutual decision by the captains to bring the game to a close and share the points.  Hampshire still remain sixth in the league table and don't look likely to get promotion to the First Division. At the moment they definitely look like a limited over team. 

No comments:

Post a Comment