Monday, August 12, 2013

England win the Ashes convincingly

A pleasant but cooler day today.  After working on my portfolio this morning I did my lunchtime stint as chaplain at Alabare Place.  They were short staffed today so I helped sort out some donated clothes and assisted some of the service users to find something that they might like.  I also ran an errand to Tesco for bread for them to make sandwiches and toast – a permanent facility for anyone just dropping in.  I am now becoming a regular feature for the service users and they are beginning to come and talk to me, which is very rewarding.  Met a nice guy from the north-east and we were able to chat about places which we both knew.  I find that if you can have something in common – even if it is only a fleeting knowledge of a place where somebody has lived or was brought up – you immediately have something in common in which to strike up a conversation which could lead to a openness in the future.  Back home I continued working whilst also keeping a watchful eye on the Test Match.  Five Australian wickets fell this afternoon for just thirteen runs and England have noe won the Ashes outright – 3 games won, one drawn.  Received a phone call tonight from an old colleague at Friends. He is currently on holiday in the New Forest so we have agreed to meet up on Thursday at the Ageas Bowl and watch the cricket match together. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment