Wednesday, April 02, 2014

A "Back to Basics" Day

A really interesting and different day today.  After taking Thom to the Wallops I drove to Leehurst Swan Private School (ages 2-16) to join Tom, the curate, in his leading the end of term Easter service. The headmaster of the school is a regular attender at St. Francis's and had prepared the service. We had two hymns and two anthems sung by the school choir.  A school orchestra provided the music and Tom gave a brilliant homily on Peter - telling his story from being called as a fisherman (and not a very good one at that!) to his denial and subsequent gracious restoration on the beach.  I have to admit that I had a tear or two in my eyes and realised that it is sometimes good to get down to the basic story - as told to youngsters - to re-engage as Christians.  We can get so bogged down with religiosity (this is becoming one of my favourite words) and lose sight of the basic messages of the Gospel. My period of placement at St. Francis's is teaching me this.  I gave Tom a lift back to St. Francis's Church and then spent a couple of hours with Paul and the children's workers at the special pre-school Easter bonnet competition and fair (I was placed in charge of the cake stall which raised some funds for the pre-school).  I really enjoyed it and had the opportunity to meet quite a few parents and grandparents as well as pre-school leaders and helpers.  Following this I called in at Alabare's headquarters on Churchfields and used the chaplains' facilities to catch up on my emails and write up my journal.  After an excellent lunch of  cold pork and coleslaw sandwich from the café run by Salisbury Citygate Church on Churchfields, I returned to St. Francis's to join Paul in the balcony to observe Tom carry out his first funeral - somebody only three years older than me who had died after a very short illness.  Paul had decided to keep his distance to ensure that Tom was seen to be in complete control of the event which I thought was a really nice touch. Tom did exceedingly well and I was pleased to convey to Paul that I thought he was an exceptional asset for the Church.  Back home by mid-afternoon, I had a cup of tea with Sara before going out again (picking up Doug G in the village) and taking him with me to Sarum Lodge meeting.  A wonderful meeting with 20 people attending (a good number for April) and three new members joining. It pleased me to announce two promotions (including my own to Past Provincial Grand Chaplain to take on the role of deputy chaplain to all the freemasons in Wiltshire) and one first appointment.  Things are really looking up in the lodge.  A really good day.  I am now feeling much clearer as to where God is leading me - the type of ministry he wants for me - and it's exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment