Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Sara's Birthday

It was Sara's birthday today which always co-incides with tragedies - Death of President Lincoln, Titanic sinking, Hillsbrough Disaster (this year marked the 25th anniversary and therefore was a significant remembrance) and the Boston Bombing.  I prepared and took up tea in her special cup as is the tradition on this day and I drank out of my Cunard cup and saucer which I do to remember those who were picked up by the Cunarder RMS Carpathia from Titanic.   Sara was feeling quite unwell today but we ventured out, nevertheless, to Netley Abbey to see the first house she ever bought and to have a look around the ruined abbey (which I read was the inspiration for Jane Austin's Northangar Abbey).  The abbey ruins are significantly extensive and it is easy to imagine yourself in the abbey church surrounded by monks.  I expect that it is a very eerie place at night.  We had a short walk along the edge of Southampton Water picking up a few shells (there are more shells washed up here than at Calshot Point).  Tonight we enjoyed a Chinese meal from the takeaway in Laverstock and watched the long film The Inn of the Sixth Happiness starring one of my favourites - Ingrid Bergman. It seemed to be quite appropriate to be watching this after a Chinese meal! 

No comments:

Post a Comment