Friday, July 10, 2009

A Fond Farewell and a Fond Hello

My final working day this week was in Salisbury and what an emotional one it was. Sara was hosting a farewell lunch for her colleagues in the HR Department one member of which, Jemma, was leaving herself today. Jemma brought in cakes (mainly donuts) as her parting gift. I had an early morning meeting with Serena again and also quite a bit of drafting to do for our claims department. We all lunched at Da Vinci's next door and had an excellent meal - I had scallops followed by salmon fettucini washed down with an Italian white wine, the name of which escapes me. In the afternoon there were a few tears shed as Jemma said goodbye to her soon to be erstwhile colleagues and it reminded me that we will go through the same process with Sara next week. My afternoon was punctuated by dealing with the outcome of two grievances which worried me and the fact that four more people are facing the exit door. Redundancies seem to be increasing all the time yet my position seems to remain a secure but difficult one with the amount of work I am increasingly expected to do. England's performance in the First Test did nothing to brighten up spirits - Australia continued to pile on the runs with the loss of only another three wickets and their score is now ahead of England's. It seems that English (or should I say Welsh) weather will be our saviour as rain stopped play after tea today and more rain is forecast tomorrow. This would mean that so long as England don't get bowled out completely on Sunday before reaching a combined score better than Australia's first innings then a draw would be inevitable. Brighter news came from Southampton Football Club who announced cheap season ticket prices - nearly half the price we paid last season - and that holders of season tickets will get entrance to the friendly against Ajax next Saturday for free. The new ownership are now looking for a really good manager to get the team together and take Saints back to the Premier League. After an appalling season last year for both the Saints and the Mariners, I really do think that 2009/2010 will be the turning point for both clubs. Tomorrow, Tom and I will go to St. Mary's to secure our season tickets, get tickets for the Ajax and Northampton League Cup games and then watch the Saints in their friendly at Dean Court, Bournemouth. Back home I had a short snooze followed by a bath. I read some of Michael Lloyd's Cafe Theology on the topic of "Providence" - a continuation of the discussion we had at House Group last night. As I started to write this blog, Sara went off to Test Valley School to collect Tom from his trip to Normandy. As I now finish it he has returned regaling stories of his exploits in France and seeming much more grown up than I can ever remember. It is an absolute delight to have him back and I realise how much I've missed him. Sara seems to be much happier too now he's back as she has been getting a bit grumpy lately. I am really looking forward to spending tomorrow with him and watching football together again.

No comments:

Post a Comment