Friday, July 24, 2009

Master and Commander

A most unusual day today. No travel to any of Salisbury, Dorking or London but working from home. Sara was off to Forest Mere today for her four-day "retreat" to the health farm near Liphook, Hampshire and so she spent the first part of the morning busily scurrying around to make sure that she had all the clothes and other things she needed for her stay - including my gym shoes and my camera. She also took with her her study bible and guide. After much fussing around she eventually left around 10.30 a.m. leaving me the "master and commander" of the house. Mary spent the morning watching TV and Tom was either on his laptop or war hammer games. For me I was busy working in the study after discovering that the wireless set up for my office laptop was now working. I was delighted as it met that I could deal with a number of urgent matters that arose during the day. This afternoon Tom went off to the Rec but came back later saying that he was being picked on by three of his so call friends and that these same boys had been bullying him before. We do need to talk to the parents which is going to be difficult as both sets of parents are friends of ours through the church. At 5 p.m. I took Tom and Mary into Salisbury - to buy Tom some war hammer paint and to look at some printers in PC World. I saw two printers I liked but both were out of stock. I will see if they have any at their Southampton shop tomorrow. I also had a letter to deliver in Salisbury and another in Amesbury so we drove over to Amesbury via Stonehenge and had our tea at KFC - a hit with the children. Tonight we spoke to Sara who is enjoying her stay very much and concentrating on getting fit. Mary announced that she didn't want to stay overnight tomorrow at Molly's which means she will have to come to the football with Tom and me. She understands and accepts that. I just hope we can get a ticket for her near us. Judging by the seating at the Ajax match, I am optimistic we can but we need to get there in good time. Tonight Mary and I watched Master and Commander - a great film starring Russell Crowe as the Royal Naval Captain chasing a French frigate in 1805. Some real live action and historical accuracy of warfare at sea in the time of Nelson. I visited the location in Mexico where most of it was filmed and have walked the decks of HMS Surprise.

No comments:

Post a Comment