Saturday, July 04, 2009

Nets!

I awoke at 7 a.m. and Sara and I had a little time to ourselves before the kids awoke. I hoisted the USA flag as today is Independence Day and made tea for us. Having had so much trouble yesterday with trying to connect to the office Internet remotely, I decided to go into the office for an hour to download my emails so that I would not have too many to deal with on Monday morning. I had a black pudding breakfast and got into the office at 10 a.m. The weather was already hot by then. At 11 a.m. I left the office and visited two banks to pay some money in - what a nice thought! - and then drove up to Amesbury to interview a prospective candidate for freemasonry who had been referred to us by the Provincial Grand Secretary for Wiltshire. He was at home with his three children whilst his wife was out shopping for a new cocktail dress for a military ball tonight (she is a Sergeant in the Army). Why is it that women always have to have a new dress for each occasion whilst us men are quite content with our dinner jackets or tuxedos as they are called in the US. We never mind looking the same as all the other blokes! Another of life's mysteries I'll never understand. He seemed enthusiastic about joining us and I left some literature with him. I drove back to Salisbury and visited Sports World and John Eadie's to buy cricket bat, gloves and stumps as promised Tom. After a lunch at home of chicken noodle soup Tom, Sara and Mary went into town to get Tom's haircut and some Euros changed for his trip to France next week. I stayed at home did some tidying up and online finances and watched some tennis and a programme on Prince John. At 6 p.m. Tom and I went up to Barry's Fields to try out our new cricket equipment in the nets up there. My batting isn't bad but my bowling is terrible and I'll need to get in some practice. Tom bowled a ball straight on to my ankle and I've now got a massive bruise where this missile landed. Cricket balls are lethal! It is years since I last played any serious cricket and it certainly showed! Klynn and Samuel came around later. They had been up to Barry's Fields to look for us to join in but we had left by the time they arrived. Klynn stopped for a glass or two of wine and shared supper with us. We all watched Sister Act - the Whoopi Goldberg film. Sara and I also watched some of The Untouchables starring our old friend Kevin Costner, and Al Murray Live at the Apollo.

No comments:

Post a Comment