Friday, July 03, 2009

Lunch in London

The weather seemed a little cooler this morning when I awoke although it was still quite muggy. Having slept in my own bed last night made me feel more refreshed than I had over the last few days. I made tea for Sara and me and showered. I raised the Confederate Battle flag in memory of those who died in the Battle of Gettysburg during the American Civil War. Tomorrow we will raise the Stars and Stripes - the flag of the Union - to commemorate USA Independence Day so both sides will have had their flags displayed. Sara later reminded me that I was probably being unpatriotic as Andy Murray was playing the American Andy Roddick in the Wimbledon Semi-Final. At least it wasn't the more recognizable Union flag. I tried to work at home first thing this morning but spent all my time unsuccessfully trying to connect my office laptop to the company's system through my wireless router. It simply wasn't having it and I was equally unable to connect using the dial up system. I spent a good 45 minutes talking to a help desk operative somewhere on the Indian sub-continent. Amazing, I can talk to somebody in India but I cannot access a computer system 8 miles away in Salisbury! The problem was not solved so by the time I left to catch a train to London I had accessed not one single email. I guess every cloud has a silver lining. I caught the 10.57 a.m. train to Waterloo from Grateley and chatted to a guy who was going all the way up to Preston in Lancashire to collect his children from his ex-wife and bring them back down to Hampshire. How sad that he has to do that to see his kids. On arrival at Waterloo I took the Underground to Temple and called in at 4 Pump Court to be taken out to lunch by the barrister and his clerk I am using for some international work in the Isle of Man. We had a delightful lunch at Chez Gerard in Chancery Lane - a restaurant Sara and I had been dined at by our other good barrister friend Michael. I had a fantastic "panache" of mussels, monkfish, prawns and scallops with mash potatoes and french beans washed down by an excellent Sauvignon Blanc. I wasn't sure what a panache was but the finished article was rather like a creamy garlicky soup. Saying my farewells to my hosts after the leisurelymeal I caught two incredibly hot Underground trains to Lambeth North and my meeting with Stop the Traffick. I spent an hour and a half with Simon in The Hub discussing the latest propositions and ideas. We had a good exchange of ideas and will continue to liaise on the question of funding, budgets and initiatives. I returned to Grateley on another full and hot train. I was just lucky to catch it as I boarded it one minute before it was due to pull out of Waterloo Station. When I got back to Grateley I listened on my car radio to the fourth and, as it was, final set of Andy Murray's Semi-Final and returned home just in time to see him lose the tie breaker on TV. He has made a brave challenge for the Wimbledon title and at age 22 still has time to get it before his career ends. He has equalled Tim Henman and no doubt Andy Murray rackets and sportswear will be on display in most sports shops.

No comments:

Post a Comment