Monday, July 06, 2009

A Quick Fit?

I think I had about one and a half hour's sleep last night. Sara was so concerned about oversleeping and missing Tom's bus for France that she kept waking up and disturbing me throughout the night to check on the time. She clearly had no faith in our alarm system - two mobile phones which penetrate their message of dawn. In hindsight, I should have slept downstairs or in the family room. At 2 a.m. I woke up and went downstairs and watched some trashy TV show entitled "Snog, Marry or Avoid" that frequents the channels at that time of night. It was either that or watch the inhabitants of the "Big Brother" house snoring contentedly leaving me to feel envious at the their nocturnal success of entering that longed for state of unconsciousness. I did consider reading some law reports but that would only remind me of work and stress me out further! Instead, I toddled back to bed to be woken again by Sara lovingly bringing me a cup of tea at 4.30 a.m. or some other unknown hour! Tom was successfully dispatched off to France and I drove my car to the Mercedes garage for its service and then to the office for a 9 a.m. meeting. The day was largely uneventful, broken by lunch with Sara, but the weather was extremely changeable with some torrential rain in the afternoon just at the time when I decided to venture out of the office to the post office to buy some stamps! Returning drenched, the Mercedes garage announced that my car was ready but that they had discovered a deep cut in the nearside front tyre which needed immediate attention. I was fortunate to find that Kwik Fit on Southampton Road close to the Mercedes garage had some of the required tyres and could fit one this evening. When I arrived at Kwik Fit there was only one other person there and I thought that I would be in and out in a flash. No such luck. Although they had the tyre, the fitters and no queue an hour of my life passed in that tyre shop. I used the time profitably by reading some the BRF literature I had on me and when I had read that I was stimulated by reading "Tyres and Tyre Fitting Monthly" or some such publication which gave long detailed articles about the merits of certain rubber products. The only thing of any real interest was an article on the use of nitrogen filled tyres (mine was so filled!) and rubber sustainability - I guess that was a bit of research for Stop the Traffik! Both Sara and I were so exhausted that I spared Sara the need to cook a meal and brought in a Chinese takeaway from Porton. This evening Sara went up to bed at 9 p.m. and I am writing this blog at the unheard of time of 9.20 p.m.. It is not usually written much before midnight. I might just watch an episode of Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads before I turn in.

No comments:

Post a Comment