Saturday, July 25, 2009

Great Day for Hampshire Sport

I didn't actually go to bed properly until 2.40 a.m. this morning as I found I couldn't sleep in an empty bed - I was missing Sara, even her snoring! I ended up watching a fascinating documentary about the Chinese Communist Party and Deng Xiao Ping in particular with an in depth account of the Tianamen Square massacre. Some rare and unusual footage too. As a result I didn't wake until after 8 a.m. - late for me. Tom was already up but not Mary. There was a whole heap of letters on the hall floor when I eventually went downstairs to make myself a cup of tea. They were nearly all for Sara or joint ones relating to financial matters - bills mainly including Tom's bus pass renewal - three times the cost of an annual season ticket at St. Mary's!! Others giving advice on where to "invest" Sara's redundancy money. Mary and I went into the village to the shop to get bacon and fresh crusty rolls and Mary bought herself a Suduko book. I have been truly amazed at how quickly she has taken to this and how adept she is - doing twelve puzzles before the day was out. Following breakfast I did a bit of hedge trimming and then we all set off for Southampton (to watch the Saints v. Hearts pre-season friendly) but not before Sara phoned to say that Draco Malfoy (the actor Tim Felton that is not the actual character) is staying with his girlfriend at the Liphook Health Farm. She hopes to get his photo soon. She says he is extremely thin so must work out/visit health farms on a regular basis. Once in Southampton we parked at our usual spot and visited the chippie in St. Mary's Street before going up to the Stadium and getting Mary a ticket for £1 from specially installed new ticket portakabins. Not sure why they have done this - must be expecting an influx of ticket sales. Seating was restricted to either the Itchin or Kingsland Stand so we opted for the Kingsland and sat near where we did for the Ajax match. It was a great match - even if there were only about 7,000 people there to see it. Alan Pardew seems to have worked wonders on the team and they beat the Scottish Premier League side 3-0. Some great defending and attacking and Kelvin Davies was his usual steady self. After the match we visited Southampton's PC World and I bought a replacement scanner/copier/printer (but not the one I wanted which is still out of stock) and also Asda's to get food stuff for tomorrow's Food for Thought picnic at Fordingbridge . On the way to Asda's we heard on the radio that Hampshire had won the Friends Provident Trophy by beating Sussex by six wickets. A tremendous result for Hampshire and for Hampshire sport today. We ended the day in the Water Margin at North Baddesley where we had a Dynasty Banquet for two between the three of us. Mary has been in an extremely giggly good mood all day and announced that she would also like a season ticket to go to the football at Southampton! Tonight, before writing this blog I wrote my Intercessions as I am the Intercessor in church tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment