Friday, July 31, 2009

A Sad Day for Football - Sir Bobbie Robson KBE, RIP

I worked at home today thanks to the technology now available. Tom didn't get up very early and I went off to the village shop to get bacon and fresh crusty rolls for our breakfast. Only Tom and I were in this morning with Sara being away with Mary at Brownie Camp somewhere in Hampshire. I made myself a latte coffee to go with the bacon rolls and spent the morning dealing with quite a number of emails that came in and making telephone calls. I received confirmation of our holiday booking in Lanzarote so all is now in place except a hotel near Gatwick and the car hire. I also made lunch for Tom and me, fish and chips, and Sara returned about 1.30 p.m. I did a little gardening before returning to work. It was with great sadness that I lowered the England flag (which had been raised for the Test Match) to half mast on hearing that Sir Bobbie Robson, the former England soccer manager, had died of cancer this morning. He was a true gentleman of the game and will be sadly missed. I received his autobiography for Christmas and really must now read it. I remember seeing him at Saint Mary's in a Saints v. Toons match wearing his smart dark overcoat. He was always smartly dressed and every much the manager. At one time I hoped he might be persuaded to do a short stint at St. Mary's after Strachen left. More work this afternoon including yet another teleconference about outsourcing. The weather bucked up today (as did the cricket - England ended the day on 116 for 2 in reply to Australia's first innings total of only 263) and so at around 3.30 p.m. I suggested to Richard C that we should play some golf this evening. Richard came round at 5.00 p.m. and we went off to Wilton to play 9 holes on the course there. I shot a respectable 41 and Richard 43 although my game seemed to get worse as we went round and his better. I did, however, score a birdie on the 2nd. I was very pleased with that. We agreed that we should try and play one evening a week whilst the weather and light remain good. I really enjoyed it and would dearly love to improve my game. We have made ourselves a target of going round in 39 or under next time. I know I can do that as I've done it before. We ended up at the Lion's Head before I returned home where Sara had cooked sausage casserole and plum crumble. Tonight Sara and I watched Ocean's Eleven with George Clooney, Elliot Gould and Julia Roberts. A free day tomorrow with no particular events or appointments.

No comments:

Post a Comment