Saturday, August 01, 2009

My Vision of Hell - Eternal Supermarket Shopping!

Didn't wake very early today but when I did I could hear the rain hammering on the window. The meteorologists have had to review their previous predictions of heatwaves and a barbecue summer! Yes it is a barbecue summer but a typical English one as in previous years - holding the barbecue fork in one hand and an umbrella in the other. I hoisted the Swiss Flag (it being Switzerland's National Day) which in a very short time resembled a wet tea towel on the pole. Sara needed the weekly shopping done at Tesco's today (having decided to abandon having it delivered because of the cost as she now has time to do it herself) and sent me off to Andover to do it. I set off in her car which needed petrol on the way and arrived at Tesco's at around 11.45 a.m. I left Tesco's at 2.30 p.m. What a wonderful way to spend nearly three hours! The fruit and veg. were quite easy, they are all together and I know what a cucumber and a bag of potatoes look like. Then came the tricky bits on the shopping list - "ant stations" - didn't know they needed to travel other than on their six legs; red jelly (strawberry? raspberry? cranberry?); biscuits (cheese? sweet? creams? rich tea? digestives?), Cajun spice (they seemed to have everything but - then I found Cajun under sauces! Halfway during my shopping expedition, another female shopper who was obviously absorbed with something else, decided to walk off with my trolley whilst I was trying to establish whether it was cheaper to buy the loose rather than packaged parsnips - I don't even like parsnips much! After circumventing a few aisles I finally saw a trolley being with my identical goods being pushed by an elegant lady. At least I felt rather good that she mistook by trolley for hers as she seemed the type who would only load up with things that are good for you! I hadn't at that stage visited the "cakes and things that are bad for you" shelves. I finally emerged from the store feeling shell shocked but I did rather crow to myself that I had budgeted £100 for the shopping and the final bill came to just over £101 - and that was because I treated myself to some vanilla fudge - my treat for going through hell! It really is a good Christian principle to think that the alternative to heaven is some sort of hell that resembles Tesco's where they move everything around once a week, at least especially marshmallows for toasting in the eternal fires. Once home I then had the equally exciting task of trying to push everything onto shelves and into fridges and deep freezers. I was also greeted with "...£101!!! I had thought more like £80!!! " Thanks Sara!! After fixing the cat flap - for a month for Emily has been able to get out but not get back in because somebody who shall remain nameless refitted the flap door wrong way round when it came out. This now explains Emily's dog like behaviour whenever somebody has arrived home over the last month. Our good friend Steve, meanwhile, has fixed the human flap upstairs - that is the bathroom door which Sara wanted reversing - shades of the cat flap? I confess to having had a nap at around 6 p.m. and was woken up at 7.30 p.m. by Mary announcing that diner was served - Sara's homemade meatloaf, peas and potatoes (the latter bought and chosen by me on my expedition). We finished with pineapple and strawberries garnished, in my case, by good old condensed milk - yummy. Sara, Mary and I watched the rather disturbing film The Truman Show and we both concluded that the inspiration must have been Psalm 139. I believe it would make a great summer House Group topic.

2 comments: