Wednesday, September 09, 2009

England qualify for World Cup finals

I was in the middle of some strange but pleasant dream (how is it you can never remember the details of it after waking) when a distant very faraway alarm beep entered my ears. It seemed so eerie and I discovered that it was my mobile phone alarm which I had left on the lid of the piano downstairs last night. Obviously it was so piercing as to be heard all the way upstairs in our room. Having woken, I made tea and hoisted the St. George's flag to support our lads in white in their attempt, tonight, to beat Croatia and add their name to the growing list of World Cup finalists. England were also playing a one-day international cricket match at the Rose Bowl. I made my own packed lunch and set off for Dorking arriving at 9.20 a.m. A busy day with a teleconference in the morning and a 1:1 with my boss in the afternoon. Nothing difficult or controversial and I dealt with my workload speedily and efficiently (well at least I thought so!). I had a short break in the middle of the day when I caught the courtesy bus into Dorking town centre to put some money in the bank and also bought a book on ghost-hunting for Tom and Mary - they seem to be quite into ghosts at the moment but not sure how they would feel if they saw one (Sara says they don't exist but I have seen one in the past!). Before leaving work I went over to the Sports and Social Club for a farewell drink with another group of HR people who are leaving. It was good to see some old faces too - Mary, Jenny H, Caroline and some whose faces I recall but not the names! I had a lovely chat with Julie and the two Jennys (or should it be Jennies?) - C and H. On the way back home tonight I listened to the first twenty minutes of the match at Wembley and England scored two goals before I got home. Watching it on the TV, they scored another 3 before the final whistle blew. England qualify for the World Cup finals in South Africa next year with a 5-1 victory over Croatia. Of course, Tom wants to go to South Africa next year. Sorry Tom, not on my salary and with a pensioner to look after now!

No comments:

Post a Comment