Sunday, September 27, 2009

My Birthday - Back to Church Sunday

My 56th birthday today. Woke up late this morning on Malcolm's couch in Liverpool. I knew that we were not due in church until 10.30 a.m. so I slept in a little. Eventually, at 9.00 a.m. got up, made tea and showered. We drove to Linnet Lane for the Back to Church Sunday service at Christ Church. This was a morning worship service with the Vicar, David Parry and Reader, Chris Topping, conducting the service without their robes and cassocks. It was an excellent service with good songs/hymns. quite informal and a truly excellent talk (sermon) from Chris. He has a great ability to engage the younger members of the congregation and I asked him to send a copy of his talk to me via email as I think we can use it at either a House Group or Rockface. After the service Tom and I drove over to the Mersey Retail Park at Speke to get him a new pair of football boots, shorts and rain jacket. That completed, we returned to Christ Church to join a farewell buffet lunch for Alistair, the curate, who is leaving to take up his own parish at Croxteth Park, Liverpool. He reminds me of a young Nils. We sent off back to Wiltshire at 2.00 p.m. and arrived back in record time at 5.35 p.m. - 3 hours 35 minutes from Liverpool to Winterslow and no speed breaking either. We were lucky to have a clear run all the way. I got some lovely birthday presents when I got back - an 1880 silver pickle fork from Sara, some war film videos from Klynn, a book on the Knights Templar from the Russells, and books on David Cameron, laying Better Golf and King Edward VIII from Sara and the children. Sara cooked a chilli con carne for supper and we watched a programme on the moon landings (fact of fiction) on one of our new Sky Channels. Sara is still unwell so it looks like a fifth night sleeping on a couch or temporary bed as her coughing is bound to keep me awake.

No comments:

Post a Comment