Tuesday, September 15, 2009

A Flying Visit to Manchester

Woke up at 4.30 a.m. to the alarm on my mobile phone. Made tea for Sara and me although I don't really think Sara was properly awake. Vicki H arrived on time at 5.30 a.m. and we set off for Southampton Airport via the back roads arriving in good time at around 6.15 a.m. There was a massive queue for security but I was impressed by the efficiency with which we were passed through despite my having set off the alarms with either the metal on my braces or my silver cufflinks. Our flight took off on time and all went to plan in getting to Manchester for 9.00 a.m. We flew in one of Fly-be's new Embraer 190s - G-FBEN, a sizable jetliner which can carry 118 passengers. Manchester was overcast when we arrived. Our Manchester office is a sad sight and it was strange to think this would be my last ever visit. Crates were piled up in the restaurant area and the restaurant itself had a very limited an poor choice of food - I settled for a cheese and onion baguette. My meetings were very successful and we achieved much of what we wanted to do. The flight back was also on time and un-eventful - a smaller Bombardier Dash 200 - G-JECO - which carries around 80 passengers. On the way home I learned from the radio that Keith Floyd had died overnight - how strange that I should have stayed up last night to watch a programme about him. Mary has been made a "Sixer" in the Brownie Pack at Norman's Court - well done to her. I only made it to "Seconder" rank in the Cubs. So proud of her - she really does enjoy her Brownies. Feeling really tired as I write this so think I will have another early night.

No comments:

Post a Comment