Wednesday, September 02, 2009

A trip to Somerset and a new cooker

Another early morning start - this time to get off to Taunton for a meeting at 10 a.m. with my opposite number at another insurer who has been the victim of the same fraudster. I left home at around 7.30 a.m. in drizzling rain having first of all hoisted the Lancashire flag to mark the 40th birthday of our good friend Helga. I made toast - the cooker being disconnected to await the arrival of our new one. I stopped off at Ilminster for coffee at just after 9.00 a.m. having made good progress and arrived at my appointment in Taunton at 9.55 a.m. It was a good fruitful meeting which lasted until nearly 12.30 p.m. I stopped off for a quick lunch in McDonald's at Sparkford (where we had stopped as a family on the way to Spring Harvest in Minehead on one occasion) and arrived at our Salisbury office at around 2.15 p.m. - an excellent drive back. I had a further meeting at 3.00 p.m. with our claims assessors when I reported back on my meeting in Taunton and also discussed another couple of interesting cases. It rained heavily this afternoon and so my proposed game of golf with Richard had been be cancelled. Instead, I played some golf with Tom on his Weii. Thinking the cooker was still disconnected I went home via Porton to get a small Chinese takeaway for myself - Sara having taken the kids out for supper at the Hampton Park Inn. When we both retiurned we found that Duncan had been and wired in the new cooker. It looks very smart and we'll need to learn how to use it. The wind and rain were lashing down this evening and I dismantled the flag pole before any damage could be done. Unfortunately the halyard parted company and I will need to re-thread it through the finial holes tomorrow morning before I re-erect it and hoist the Union flag to commemorate the 70th Anniversary of the declaration of war. The halyard is current dangling from our landing rails to dry out - as is the Lancashire flag. Tonight I paid the final balance of our hotel booking for our second week on Paradise Island, Bahamas. We had hoped to spend two weeks in the apartment but no one is giving up their apartments during the week we wanted it and so whilst we will have the first week in ours we will need to vacate it for the second week and move into the Comfort Suites. At least we will still have the use of the Atlantis facilities and the free breakfasts in the morning. We know the hotel well so will feel quite at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment