Tuesday, September 29, 2009

More Disappointments

In Salisbury today. The laptop would not boot up again this morning so was unable to read the World for Today online. fortunately I still receive the booklet so could read it at my desk the old fashioned way! Still not feeling 100% but needed to go in as I had a meeting this morning with our Financial Crimes Manager. In fact we met in the coffee area and discussed business over a couple of lattes. At lunchtime I visited the Sarum College bookshop and bought several copies of the Cover to Cover booklet on 1 Timothy which I've decided will make a good subject for our House Study Group. It should engender some good debate as Paul talks about the women's role in the church and is the basis for the controversy over women priests. I also took my lunch with the members of our Christian Fellowship - only three of us today. This afternoon I dealt with paperwork relating to more compromise agreements and outsourcing agreements and assisted the HR consultants on some tricky TUPE issues. Tonight Tom and I went to St. Mary's Stadium to see Southampton take on Bristol Rovers. I've never seen Bristol Rovers lose so thought the old jinx would happen again. In one of my more optimistic moments during the drive over to Southampton I told Tom that my prediction was a better 2-2 draw which would, at least, put us on "0" points. We arrived in good time and had a hot dog (Tom) and a cheeseburger (me) next to where Nikki was selling the programmes. The game started off well and we went into the lead only for Rovers to get a stupid equaliser just before half time when our goalkeeper, Kelvin Davis came way off his line and the Rover's striker went around the back of him to put the ball in the back of the net at a very acute angle. Returning to the pitch after the break, Saints scored within the first minute to make it 2-1. This was followed by a equaliser with about ten minutes to go. My prediction of 2-2 looked to be an accurate one. Saints, it seemed were going to settle for a draw and "0" points when 30 seconds from the end of 5 minutes of extra time Rovers scored the winner in similar fashion to Saints at Carlisle on Saturday. We were gutted! It isn't looking good. Liverpool also lost their Champion's League game tonight in Italy. Grimsby Town play tomorrow night. Let's hope for something better.

No comments:

Post a Comment