Friday, September 18, 2009

Torquay Inquest

Woke up at around 6.30 a.m. this morning in m hotel room in the Grand Hotel, Torquay. I made myself tea and picked up my Daily Mail from under the door. I had a bath and red my daily devotions. Down to breakfast in the Gainsborough Restaurant at a little after 7.30 a.m. and has tea, toast, marmalade, fresh fruit salad and grapefruit juice, a kipper and yoghurt. Nigel had the full English breakfast which, after our Chinese meal last night, I really couldn't fit in! After checking out we drove the 10 minutes or so to the Torquay Town Hall where we were greeted by the Coroner's Officer, Deputy Coroner and HM Coroner himself. We were shown to our table in the court room where we read a fresh witness statement and waited for the the deceased's family to arrive. A jury of twelve trusty Torquay residents were sworn in. Evidence was heard from several witnesses and I was afforded an opportunity to question each. We rose for lunch at 12.45 p.m. and Nigel and I dined at McDonald's. Returning at 1.30 p.m. the jury returned a narrative verdict essentially of accidental death. Nigel and I returned to Salisbury immediately afterwards and I was home at 5 p.m. just before Richard arrived. After a quick cup of tea Richard and I went off to Wilton and played nine holes of golf. His golf has improved well and whilst I played some decent shots I wasn't entirely pleased with my performance. I was probably feeling rather tense after my long day in court and the drive back from Devon. We ended the evening in the Lion's Head drinking and chatting to Sue and Jeremy.

1 comment:

  1. "Dining at McDonalds" ?????? Contradictio in terminis I think!

    ReplyDelete