Monday, September 07, 2009

Diversions

Up early this morning. I know that it seems crazy but I set the alarm for the unearthly hour of 5.30 a.m. so that I could have the illusion of having had a lie in when I got up at 6 a.m.! I was off to Dorking today and anticipated heavy traffic although the BBC News website announced this morning that traffic congestion is down by over 20% due to people becoming unemployed, or working from home to save money. Consequently fewer people are travelling. Despite this optimism I chose to take the route along the A31 which, from experience is usually the lightest on a Monday morning. Indeed, it was pretty light going until I reached Froyle where the road north had been blocked by an accident. My fellow commuters and I were diverted of the main road along narrow country lanes and past the Treloar private school and all its attendant traffic. Once back on to the A31 the journey was fairly plain sailing and I got into the office at 9.10 a.m. before many others. It was good catch up with colleagues in Dorking again but at lunchtime I chose to eat my sandwiches at my desk and went for a short stroll round by the station and the allotments. This evening I returned home by yet another circuitous route - a diversion to the south coast and Brighton! I was attending a Civic Lodge GPC meeting at The Stanley Arms in Portslade ("Unfortunately"). The meeting lasted an hour and a half and I came away lightly - nothing to do and no office to carry next year. I had been required for one simple office on the night of the Installation of the new Master on 12th October but I declined because Sara will be picking up Adam from Heathrow Airport that night and I may be required on childcare duties. I had a good journey home getting back at around 10.30 p.m. Sara and I watched a documentary on the events of September 11th 2001 through the lenses of different New Yorkers on that fateful day. Some surprising footage of the towers' collapse which I hadn't seen before. It seemed all the more terrifying and real when viewed through amateur photographer's eyes. Chilling in fact.

No comments:

Post a Comment