Saturday, September 19, 2009

A Perfect Sporting Saturday

I was woken early this morning by a phone call from Malcolm in Liverpool to say that he was going to the Preston v. Coventry game and would try and get me a ticket for the Carling Cup clash with Spurs on Wednesday night when I'm up in Lancashire. He was trying to get tickets online as we spoke but was having difficulties. I am still waiting to find out whether he was successful, either online or when he visited the ticket office at Deepdale this afternoon. There was a mild panic in the house this morning when Mary could not find her leotard for her ballet lesson. It was eventually found in our bedroom I believe. Sara took Mary into Salisbury, Tom played on his Weii/Xbox and I repaired the shredder, hoisted the Saints flag, tied up some paperwork in the study and general bits and pieces around the house. Tom and I left for Southmapton at around 12.30 p.m. We had to park on the road as the traffic and parking were clogged today - football match, shoppers and Boat Show. We visited our usual chippie in St. Mary's Street before going on to St. Mary's. Buying our programme from Nikki as usual, we went up to our seats where Andy and his two lads and John were already in place. We had a pleasant chat and he told he he followed this blog - it's amazing how many people seem to get addicted to reading about the mundane as several people have told me they now follow it! The game this afternoon was against Yeovil Town, a team that was in the Conference League only five seasons ago. Saints started off brightly but the game did get bogged down in parts. Saints recorded their first win this afternoon, 2-0, through two penalties - both taken by Ricki Lambert. I was impressed by our new striker - Papa Waigo N'Diaye whom I've nicknamed "Papa Doc" as there is no way I'll remember the rest of his name - indeed I've had to look at the programme to write this. Kelvin Davis was as brilliant in goal as ever and I am really impressed by the hard working Dan Harding (Dan "Hardworking" I'll call him). Before leaving the ground we queued up and got tickets for the Johnson's Paint Trophy tie against Torquay United on 6th October. We've chosen seats in the Northam Stand for no particular reason other than this is the only Stand at St. Mary's neither of us have ever been in. Other great results today were that Grimsby Town beat Torquay United 2-0 at Torquay and Portsmouth lost 0-2 at Aston Villa. Perfect! Back home, Sara presented Tom with a "dongle" - a device for allowing his Xbox to be connected by wireless. It took us some time to work out how to connect it with our router but eventually we did - by using logic - Tom had already convinced himself that the dongle didn't work. I am writing this as Mary and Sara watch the "X Factor" and Tom plays on the Xbox. Once the kids are in bed Sara and I are going to watch a film called "Bucket List". As I write this Mary seems to be in a bad mood for some reason and I'll simply keep out of her way until the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment