Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Calendar Launch at the Salisbury Racecourse

A massive day for Sara today.  I was up early to go up to Salisbury Racecourse with Mike from the shop to erect his marquee for the Winterslow Calendar Girls' launch reception at the race meeting that afternoon.  It promised to be a very hot day but the ground was drenched with dew as we worked feverishly to get the thing put up before we had to return to Winterslow.  We succeeded in getting back to the village at 10.30 a.m.  Sara and some of the Calendar Girls left to set out the reception area and I had a some work to do as I had a telephone conference with a client at 11 a.m.  I followed Sara up at around 12.45 p.m. properly dressed for entry to the Bibury Enclosure.  The reception was already in full swing with the press and sponsors already there.  Photographs were taken and Sara and the girls gave several interviews including a live interview with Sara.  I also gave a short interview to Spire FM as this whole thing had been my suggestion in the first place!  John Glen the MP for Salisbury arrived at 1.30 p.m. and spent most of the afternoon  giving interviews, photo shoots and talking to people.  He showed a real genuine interest in the project and gave it his 100% support.  From the sale of calendars and donation alone, today, the girls raised well in excess of £2,500 with much more money promised. The final count is still on.  I am afraid that my luck with the horses didn't follow suit although I did have an each-way place and a win on the last race which just about covered my afternoon's betting - a result in itself I guess.  I helped to dismantle the marquee at the end of the day and must say I was absolutely exhausted by the time I got home.  It has been a very busy and emotional three days - on top of a trip to Liverpool.  I am quite behind with my work and studies at the moment and this hot weather is not helping.  a marvellous result of the Calendar Girls though.  They all worked together well - such a spirit of co-operation and fun!  Well done to them all - especially Sara.

No comments:

Post a Comment