Sunday, December 16, 2012

Christmas is coming fast!

A very changeable day weather wise today - alternating between bright sunshine and then heavily overcast with torrential rain.  Thom came back from his paper round with £37 in Christmas tips.  Wrote some Christmas cards first thing this morning which I posted on my way to the Baptist Church where I had decided to worship today.  The service was informal with some 17 children present.   together with the adults there was a congregation of about 40 all gathered in the little "tin tabernacle". I was given a warm welcome by a number of the congregation - most of whom I know anyway - and I enjoyed the informality of the occasion and the excellent teaching from the baptist minister who had come over from Andover.  He spoke about Abram's call and his relationship with Lot and Isaac and drew parallels with Mary's Annunciation and Christ's crucifixion - the sacrifice of a son.  Certainly a sermon to remember and delivered in a calm knowing way.  I stayed for coffee (my car was blocked in anyway) and had a chat with many people.  It really was a friendly and joyous occasion.  Back home, Sara had cooked a Sunday lunch of chicken thighs and chorizo to a recipe of Nigella Lawson.  A really lovely meal.  This afternoon it was back to writing more Christmas cards (as was this evening).  Tonight I attended the Nine Carols and Nine Lessons' service at All Saints where I gave the first reading "The Fall" which I delivered whilst the church was in darkness and before the first carol - "Once in Royal David's City".  The service took the same format as every year with the same choir introits and organ voluntaries. As well as reading I also acted as sidesman for part of the church - collecting the money at the end.  There was coffee and mince pies afterwards and I stayed and chatted for a  short time before returning home to write some more Christmas cards!  As I write this I have run out of cards and will need to purchase some more.

No comments:

Post a Comment